Day Two -- NaBloPoMo
But that's ok. I get my grandbaby fix at the hospital.
It's kind of funny that the boys are the ones who really, really want babies right now. Andrew is ready to be a dad, but Alexandria is nervous about the whole pregnancy/labor/delivery thing. So I don't know. Anthony and Eler Beth both definitely want babies, and Anthony would have been happy if they'd come back from their honeymoon pregnant. As it turns out, it is a good thing they didn't, since right after the honeymoon is when Eler Beth's health issues began (and more on that in a later post). But I think she is starting to get baby fever.
I call myself "grandma" to all the animals (well, the kids' animals, not mine and Thomas'), but I will probably be "Mamaw" to my actual grandchildren. I don't mind Grandma, Mamaw, or even Granny, but I know I am NOT a Nana or a Nonni or a MiMi or anything like that, unless the baby itself names me as such. There is nothing wrong with those, they just aren't me. I asked Eler Beth what she thought she'd want her kids to call me, and she very decidedly said, "Mamaw." (All the grandmothers in my family are "mamaws, and the grandfathers are "papaws.")
I recently found out that there is (or was, it might possibly be archaic) a Gaelic word that means grandmother that sounds like "mamaw," so maybe that came from my Gaelic and Celtic roots. I can't remember the word offhand. My niece was telling me about it. I'll have to look it up.
Thomas' father was Granddad to the grandchildren. He called his own grandfathers Papa Aaron and Papa Willie, and he never knew his grandmothers, but one step-grandmother was Mother Roxie and the other step-grandmother was Cousin Cula because she was actually a cousin on the other side of his family. BOTH of his grandfathers had three wives!!
On Anthony's side his dad's parents were and are Papa and Baba (Italian and Polish), and his mom's mother was Nana. I don't think he knew his mom's father.
This is not what I was originally going to write about today, so if anyone is still reading this boring post, if you're a grandparent, what do your grandchildren call you? What do or did you call your grandparents? I was actually going to write about my brother and his death and funeral, but maybe that post is still percolating in my brain and not ready to be written yet.
Weird isn't it how I started a new blog because I thought I needed a change, and here I am still focused mostly on my now-married-and-out-of-the-house kids!
More tomorrow. Ta for now!
~~ Lori
Addendum: I have tried and tried, and I cannot get this post to stop screwing around with the font size of some of these paragraphs. I don't know what's going on!!
Hubby’s family is Poppa and Nana... in my family it’s been Abuelita or Abue (ah-bway-leet-ah or ah-bway) for grandma and Abuelito for grandpa... I never had kids so Momma had the fur grand babies...
ReplyDeleteWe have friends who are Lolly and Pop lol! My son briefly called my mother Mim or Mamaw-Mim, which I thought was cute and entirely his own little thing.
DeleteFunny Lori, I always thought I'd be a Nana, but the kids' dogs all refer to me as ChiChi. I suspect that's going to stick if we ever have a human grandchild.
ReplyDeleteThat's so funny!
DeleteI don't have grandchildren yet, but I will leave it up to future grandchildren or my own kids. I'm fine with Grandma and not much into the trendy new titles like Mimi or Gigi.
ReplyDeleteTwo of my great-nieces began calling my mother Granny Great, since she is their great-grandmother, and I have always thought that was adorable.
DeleteI called both of my grandmothers "Grandma." My grandkids call me Mamá, like the grandma on the Addams Family.
ReplyDelete