Post 19, Day 25 -- NaBloPoMo
Eler Beth and Anthony had to cut their visit short and went home on Saturday instead of staying through Tuesday. Anthony's boss needed him back early.
But that's ok because they are coming down Wednesday night or Thursday morning and will be here through the weekend. Since they were only going to be gone for a few days, I told them if they'd like they could leave Bryant, her dog, here instead of subjecting him to an extra drive home -- he gets really bad carsickness -- and he could keep my Wilder company. He has stayed with "Grandma" before, and he lived here, after all, until about a year ago. But we did worry a bit about him being without her and his new "dad." Also, they'd be picking up Anthony's little dog, Molly, from where she was staying with his parents, and it would just make it a bit easier on them, as late as it was, getting settled in for the night.
![]() |
| Bryant, age 5 |
He did great Sunday. I think he thought that they had just gone out and would be back soon. But this morning he started acting a bit strange. He kept going over to the front door, sniffing at the bottom, and lying down, staring at the door. He demanded a lot more attention from me than normal. I was doing laundry and this afternoon I washed the bed clothes from Anthony and Eler Beth's bed. It was after I had stripped the bed and taken everything out of the room that I noticed him getting restless and whining, wandering through the house. It was so obvious that my own Wilder started acting anxious as well.
![]() |
| Ages 19 and 2, respectively |
It occurred to be that maybe it was because I'd taken everything that smelled like mom and dad. I had come across a jacket that Eler Beth had left here, so I got it and put it beside him on the couch. But I made a mistake. I held it out to him and said, "Poor baby. Will this help? It smells like Mom, doesn't it?" And he sniffed it, perked up, and then went to the front door, tail wagging, and head cocked like he was waiting for them to come through the door. Oh my, I felt so bad!
![]() |
| Bryant with Remiel (fennec fox) |
I had to distract him with treats, and then a lot of petting. This evening when he began acting stressed, I gave him a couple of the calming pills she gives him when she has to take him for a ride. They have things like chamomile, L-Theanine, and Melatonin in them, and they seem to work. He and Wilder are sleeping side by side next to me right now. I'm glad the kids will be here in a couple of days becasue it breaks my heart to see him missing her.
I have a post in Dusty Pages about Bryant, and I'll move that one here when I set up a page just about all of our pets.
Hope everyone is enjoying nice fall weather. We had a beautiful day here; so sunny and near 60°. But we have rain coming in. My screener who had been off on maternity leave is returning tomorrow. I hope that goes well, because if it does, I"m going to have a few extra days off this week, and, rain or no rain, that will be nice and is much needed.
Ta for now.
~~ Lori




Dogs are certainly more loyal than cats. My kitty, who adores me, quickly bonds to my dad when she stays with them. He feeds her turkey, which is her favorite thing in the world.
ReplyDelete