Day Thirteen -- NaBloPoMo
I can't remember the date that Thomas' knee surgery was originally scheduled; I want to say it was January 28 or 31, something like that. But on January 21, 2018, he called me from work to say that his knee had given out on him and he was going to have to come home. He moved his FMLA up a few days and they rescheduled his surgery for January 24.
The surgeon had to completely reconstruct his right knee; it wasn't just a simple knee replacement. Later during his recovery when the doctor was explaining exactly what they did, he said to me, "If I had to do very many more surgeries like this one, I'd have to find another line of work!"
He did so amazingly well with his recovery. He was up and doing his therapy with little pain. They said if he hadn't already been in such good physical shape before the surgery, his recuperation would have taken weeks longer. After he came home, his therapist was having to make him slow down because he was afraid Thomas was going to overdo it! He was determined, though, that he'd be ready to walk that girl down the aisle, and he wanted to get back to work.
The doctor didn't let him go back to work as soon as he wanted to, though, so I put up with him being home for a few more weeks lol. This is the link to my original post with more detail about his surgery if anyone wants to read the whole thing, but I'll just share a couple of my favorite pics from his hospital stay here along with the descriptions.
This was taken before the surgery. Thomas is very cold-natured. Did you know they have these wonderful gowns that have a lining that hot air can be pumped into to keep you warm? We didn't. When they had him change into a gown during the prep, we found out. Here he is with that wonderful warm air encasing him AND a heated blanket. Look at that face. Yes, that man loves his heat!
We took this one that first night after the surgery. Anthony and Eler Beth came to spend the rest of the evening with us. Eler Beth really wanted to spend the night there, but we convinced her to go on home. I stayed though, and soon was in my jammies and ready to stretch out on the little chair that pulled out into a bed. I took a rare-for-us selfie before Thomas drifted off to sleep. I don't usually allow photos like this of me -- no make-up, sleep-deprived, and in my pajamas!
To be continued...
~~ Lori

No comments:
Post a Comment