Saturday, November 30, 2019

We're Gonna Show You The Power!

Post 21, Day 30 -- NaBloPoMo


I may not make 30 posts this NaBloPoMo, but I'll at least have done better than the last year I tried it.

We had rain all day to today, and I got to thinking about rainy recesses when I was a child in the 70s. My personal favorite thing to do when we had to stay indoors at recess was watch The Electric Company.


I was the child who always had a book (or two) with her and who read on the 30 minute bus ride to school in the morning and all the way home in the afternoon. If I was near to finishing my book, I brought another one to start. I loved all things having to do with words -- reading them, writing them, studying their origins, learning to spell them, and learning to pronounce them correctly. So The Electric Company enchanted me from the very beginning.

I think The Electric Company premiered in 1971, and I started school in 1972. I may have watched it before I started school; I can't remember. But I remember watching it at school and at home on KET after I had started going to school.  I can remember the feeling when the teacher wheeled that tv cart into the classroom and plugged in the television.  There are entire episodes on YouTube, so I had to watch the very first one today.  

One of my favorite serial features on the show was The Adventures of Letterman -- 

Faster than a rolling "O"...
Stronger than Silent "E"...
Able to leap Capital "T" with a single bound! 
It's a Word! 
It's a Plan! 
It's....
LETTERMAN! 
"Hi. I'm Letterman."  

Another favorite series of skits was Jennifer of the Jungle, featuring Judy Graubert -- loved her voice.  And of course, a song from the show that still goes through my mind now and then is "Punctuation!" (Punc, punc, punc -- Punctuation!) 

~~ Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment